Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Yay... another "first" for Will (and me). [insert sarcasism here]

I am writing this when I should be in bed trying to sleep! Yesterday after playing at the park, Will woke up from his nap really hot. I changed his clothes into shirt and shorts, gave him a cool snack. We had to run two errands and then headed home. On the way home he felt even hotter! I took his temp as soon as we got in the door (ok... maybe a few minutes after)- it was 102.5! So, I gave him children's Motrin and frozen grapes while I off loaded the Caliber. Off to the lukewarm bath we went! An hour after I gave him the Motrin his temp was 99 even. So, I went about getting him dinner and doing the usual routine not thinking much of it other than teething and it was HOT outside. Bedtime rolls around... I took his temp (7pm-ish) and it was back up! He couldn't have more stuff for about 2hrs. Once again he got a cooler than normal bath. While we waited for the tub to fill up he was shivering really bad and was very hot. Since he was a ketchup mess, he got his bath and into jammies. Took his temp and it had gone up to 102.3. Off to Madigan we went (8pm). Got there and the first nursed that tried to do his vitals was pretty young looking and did NOT know how to deal with an upset baby. Waited for someone more experienced... half hour later. He weighed in at 27 1/2 lbs... but his temp was 104.5!
The nurse was very nice and calming with the whole thing. Had me give him some tylenol and sit in the waiting room to get seen. Poor baby was burning up! I was getting worried and frustrated. The whole time we were waiting two things happened- I kept thinking that I knew what was wrong (I was right in the end); and people waiting kept staring at Will. I had a couple people come up and compliment me on how handsome and good looking he looks. Totally caught me off guard! One guy said he wanted to call his parents up and ask why they couldn't make him (the guy) a black version of Will. It lightened my mood a bit.
In between compliments, I was either sitting and fanning meester Will or walking around or holding him (fussing of course) over top the air purifier (the only form of a fan they had). They finally re-took his temp and it was back down to 102.5. Then we had to wait some more! At about 10pm we were taken into a room (I probably annoyed the nurses asking about fans or things to cool him down). Saw the doctor for all of 50 seconds at 10:21. She agreed with me, he has an ear infection in his left ear (otitis media aka middle ear). Prescribed amoxicillin and sent us home. We left Madigan at 11pm- a record time!

Little did I know that the fun had only just begun. He woke up every hour and a half! All he wanted was his cup, pacifier, blanket, and me. I'd turn on Noggin (kids channel) and we both doze in and out. When he'd calm down enough I'd lay him back down. When he woke up for the 4th time (maybe 5th) at 5am, he was on fire! I gave him Motrin and stripped him down. Thankfully I had baby wipes on the table next to me. I kept wiping him down, letting the cold night air (from the fan and windows) blow on him. Finally it broke! We were both so exhausted by 6am that we both fell asleep right away. He slept until 8:15 when the stupid Emily's barking (wanted inside) woke us both up. It startled him awake. I was livid!
So, we went about the usual daily routine. He did pretty good as long as he was in my arms. If I put him down he'd get so upset. Needless to say my arms are very sore. This kept up ALL day with only an hour and a half nap from noon to 1:30pm (I slept too). He didn't go to bed until after 9pm.

I never knew how much I actually enjoyed my showers until this evening. My escape from everything! So, on that note I AM going to bed. I hope and pray we can both get more sleep! We have a late night tomorrow (picking up James at the air port).

I just want my baby to feel better!

No comments: