Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BANG!

About two weeks ago right around 3pm, someone tried to break into our house! Will was eating snack in the living room and I was cleaning out the fridge (Abby was begging). When Abby's ears twitched I jokingly asked (in a kinda loud voice) if she was hearing the phone before it rings. It was then the screen door was slammed shut! I ran to the door and didn't see anything. So, went back to what I was doing. Then I saw some guy jump and trip over Will's kiddy pool on the side of the house (he completely moved it and made a loud noise). Upon seeing this I bolted out the front door and started yelling really freaking loud that I'd kick their @$$ if they came back while waving a big wooden spoon in my hand! Adrenaline pumping I was ready to beat someone up and that wooden spoon would've been a deadly weapon. The trespasser can thank the phone for ringing because otherwise I would chase after them. James had called and I informed him what happened. I made the mistake of saying that when I heard the door the first thought was a stray animal (which has happened before, but never that loud). Honestly, it didn't fully hit me what had happened and what could have happened until after I hung up the phone.
The next day I went to the Dededo Precinct to report the attempted break-in. After unloading Will and getting every situated I walk in to be informed of a shift change and basically brushed off. So, I left and returned an hour later. The Officer I spoke with wouldn't make a written report due to the fact I "didn't see a face" and "no harm was done". He then went on to give ME a "verbal counseling" on my rights and what precautions to take. I was informed that unless we have a "NO TRESPASSING" sign posted then IF someone walks on the property and I injure them (protecting my family) that I could be held liable for their damages. Also, I need to have the screen door and/or the regular door locked at all times. And in the event someone "walks" into my house because the door wasn't locked I have to ask the intruder, "What's your business here?" before I can take physical actions. There was more said, but you get the drift of how the system works here. I left the precinct feeling unsatisfied and like they thought I was overreacting. That is one of many reasons I want to move on base!
I had the pool propped against the wall/fence to dry out.

No comments: